Micro finance activities have spread all over India and some agencies are running very good micro finance programmes. But very few agencies have been able to go beyond that and set up commercially sustainable micro enterprises. Dhriiti intends to complement and build upon the efforts of such agencies by acting as a lateral agency networking with various NGOs, MFIs and grassroots level organizations to promote and develop Small and Micro Enterprises.
The MEDM division of Dhriiti works to promote and develop small and medium enterprises in rural and semi urban areas. While EDC practices preventive medicine, the MEDM division practices curative medicine for the unemployment problem in India by setting up enterprises with unemployed youths. MEDM invests its time and money in promoting enterprises that can be replicated easily throughout a region, once the initial model is ready.
The division intends to set up clusters of cottage/tiny industries with their own marketing federations in different geographical locations. The enterprises may include both manufacturing and service based activities. MEDM’s implementation process is unique as it provides a complete end-to-end solution to set up the value chain and supply chain of an industry. The enterprises are promoted with the sustainability objective in mind so that they are able to continue the business after our withdrawal. The division covers the following aspects of enterprise promotion:
- Project Feasibility
- Capacity Building (training of both entrepreneurs & supporting agencies)
- Research & Development (Technology development)
- Production Management
- Supply Chain Management
- Marketing Linkages
- Institutional Development
- Arecanut Leaf Plate Manufacturing Cluster Development Project – It is the first micro enterprise development project initiated by Dhriiti. The project is operating in 5 districts of Assam in the North East of India. Read more...
- Bamboo Workers Collective Development Programme – It is an initiative of Dhriiti for developing a bamboo mat weavers cluster as a feeder industry to the bamboo plywood industry. The project is operating in Barpeta districts of Assam in the North East of India. Read more...
- Tambul Plate Marketing Company - TPMC is a company jointly promoted by the producers of arecanut leaf plates and Dhriiti employees to market the plates nationally and internationally. Read more...
- Already established 44 units in various parts of Assam and Meghalaya.
- Developed efficient and effective gas based machines to suit the North Eastern conditions.
- Sold more than 5 lakh plates till now.
- Generated direct employment for more than 50 people.
- Generated around 2 lakh income for rural people by selling arecanut sheaths which was earlier a waste.